There are many occupations in the world and it seems limitless. One of them is academic librarian. Even though by the name of it, it is easy to know what profession that is, still many people are unable to really understand what an academic librarian does. Even for those who work on campus as well as other departments seems to not really understand about what academic librarian does. Before going off explaining job description of an academic librarian, it is also important to know more about academic library.
What is academic library?
Academic library is a library which is attached to higher education institution. It serves to support the school’s curriculum as well as the research of the university faculty as well as the students themselves. There are numerous academic libraries around the world. However, it is stated that there are 3,785 libraries linked to academic and research maintained by UNESCO. The overall number of academic libraries is hard to count. In the United States only, there are about 3,799 academic libraries. Just imagine how many libraries accumulated from all over the world. Academic library is one of important support in education and teaching-learning program. It provides materials for students to learn more especially for class reading and paper making. Every academic library has its own size, resources, collections, as well as services. Do you know which academic library considered as the largest in the world? It is The Harvard University Library. There are also academic libraries owned by the University of the South Pacific which have been distributed throughout its 12 member countries.
What academic librarians do?
Lots of people misunderstand about academic librarian’s job description. Most people think that their work is only to organize the book or putting the books on their supposed section. Some people also think that academic librarians are equal to book stampers. Well, there are more things you need to know about academic librarians do at their work. So here are general job duties for academic librarians:
- Academic librarians are supposed to coordinate the library research assistant services. There are various services that academic librarians can give such as general research help or the specific one. When they are required to help a research https://dadupokerqq.com/, they will be available.
- Academic librarians are in charge of staffing and scheduling for the first-year information literacy program. There is usually teamwork or partnership in completing this job in which librarians work with other librarians for the program.
- Academic librarians manage the Curriculum Materials Collection as well as supervise one student worker. Supervising part-timer librarian and supporting staff position is also included into academic librarian’s job description.
- There is 3D printing service in most academic library. Thus, this becomes an academic librarian duty to manage. Designing or creating social media post or library graphic is also often included into job description.
Is it hard to become academic librarian?
Well, every job has its own dynamic. There are parts when you experience the hardest and other parts when you can really enjoy or have fun with. Becoming academic librarian means you need to pursue your education on the right path. Looking to job description, it seems a lot. However, the work of academic librarians is mostly cyclical just like the academic year. You will spend your time by helping research, prepping for teaching, and doing supervisory or management stuff. Some people even try to work in a library before even getting library degree to taste the water. If you feel like it is your call to become academic librarians, you might as well give it a try because there are advantages from becoming academic librarian.
Library Science is actually not a rare study program in Indonesia. Some large state universities such as the University of Indonesia, Gajah Mada University, Airlangga University, Padjadjaran University, and Brawijaya University have long opened the study program. However, this study program is not included in the radar of the favorite and prestigious study programs for high school students. So, what is actually learned in Library Science?
Students Library Science
In essence, the students Library Science learn how to process, manage and communicate or disseminate information. That information can come from many media, from books to digital. Then, it is not only a technical matter, but also the managerial aspects of the library and archives.
It is a necessity for everyone at http://220.127.116.11, institutions, and companies to produce documented records of their activities. Various information resources ranging from library materials, data, archives, documents, audio-visual materials of various types, formats, and packaging are objects that will be cultivated by students of Library Science.
In addition to learning theory, students of Library Science study program generally learn technical matters related to information governance, making book metadata for libraries, archives, methods for recording information, administration, and digital asset management.
This portion of technical practice is greater at the diploma level than at the undergraduate level. One of the courses in Library Science is the Information Organization. Students learn how to trace the origin of information, identify keywords, how many times the information was quoted. Students also learn to identify and prevent plagiarism
In the managerial aspect, students will get acquainted with various types of information institutions. Of course, according to the name of this study program, students will be familiar with the library. Other institutions that are also included are documentation centers, archival institutions, and museums. There are many objects of this management study. Starting from the human resources, administration, marketing, financial matters to the behavior of users.
In addition, students are also equipped with the basics of technology and information systems. This includes how to design a library and archive database, computerize it, to develop the web and library network. In essence, they are taught how technology facilitates the process of retrieval of information when needed.
That is just general material that is owned by all Library Science Study Programs. For the record, each Library Science Study Program has a specific study. Brawijaya University, for example, is unique in the aspects of library and archive administration. Therefore, this study program is registered at the Faculty of Administrative Sciences.
Past civilizations recognized Madrasah Mustansiriya in Bhagdhad as a place where hundreds of thousands of books were neatly lined up in the library. Ibn Battuta’s travel notes reveal that the library has a collection of books from the Caliph Mustansir which must be sent using 150 camels. The library is the center of civilization, travelers who rest in the mosque. Find food and knowledge in the library which is usually located in the mosque complex.
Libraries and mosques do have an important role in the development of Islamic culture. There is the Al-Qarawiyyin Library in Morocco. This place according to UNESCO is the oldest library in the world that is still running since it opened. Located in the former capital of Morocco, Fez, Al Qarawiyyin is home to some of the rarest and unique manuscripts in the world, and so far. Only accessible by curators in special cases. In 2016 the management of this institution built a laboratory to protect and convert 4,000 classic and important manuscripts in judi bola form.
Al Qarawiyyin Library
The Al Qarawiyyin Library was built by a progressive Muslim female scholar named Fatima al Fihri in 859. In this library there are various classical books of Islamic teachings. There are at least 4,000 manuscripts that contain Islamic law, history and teachings. One of the most important collections of this library is the Qur’an from the ninth century written in Kufic calligraphy and the oldest sirah book that tells the life of the Prophet Muhammad.
In addition to Al Qarawiyyin, there is also a library from the monastery of St Catherine on the Mount Sinai, England. The residents of Bediun Jabaliya and the monastery guards worked together to protect this important Christian site. Like in 2011 when Egypt was in turmoil, Muslims and Catholics took turns guarding the monastery. Not only to protect historical sites, but also collections of books in the monastery library. Manuscripts and important books that are stored in a special room and maintained regularly.
Other oldest libraries are not only located in Africa, but also several places in Europe such as the Netherlands and Great Britain. One of the oldest and most important libraries is the Librije library in Zutpen, Gelderland province in the Netherlands. This library is located in a church complex that was built in the 11th century. This library holds a lot of Christian theology books and also comments on Greek classical works. The museum holds 300 rare books and 750 titles and 65 manuscripts that originated before the 1500s.
The university is also the location where the library keeps ancient manuscripts, besides Al-Azhar University. There is the Royal Grammar School library located in England. The location of the library is in the Old Building of the university. The library’s book collection stretches from books printed in Venice in 1480 to a collection of Christian theology books that were recorded published in 1897. All of these books can be accessed limited, but only for reasons of knowledge and research. The books are still the same as they were first printed, with covers, chains and iron balls as safety.
Have you smelled a book? Not being weird, but I think everyone does that. In fact, it is not weird at all. We all also love the smell of a large library. We can smell knowledge, history, the scent of heritage, and the souls of the past. Sentences in a Cathedral Paul Dean is perhaps in agreement with the pleasure of a number of people against the smell and aroma of books. This also makes some readers reluctant to switch from printed books to e-books, complete with their devices.
Related to this, UNESCO has also determined the smell of books as the aroma of inherited objects. This was reported in a paper entitled “Smell of heritage: a framework for identification, analysis and archival of historic odors”.
Smells of Old Books
The distinctive aroma of the book comes from the combination of various volatile organic compounds (VOCs) released into the air from paper. Some of these compounds are acetic acid, benzaldehyde, butanol, furfural, or methoxyphenylloxime and others. In addition to various compounds, the nose (obviously) also plays an important role why someone likes the smell of books. The nose is bound directly to the limbic system which is responsible for our emotions. This also causes odors to be one of the strongest ways to trigger memories. So, memories like the pleasure to read and enjoy Idnplay poker come back from our past.
Research entitled “Recognizing odors associated with meaningful places” says that odor is very important to attach meaning to space and experience. The study, published by The American Journal of Psychology, cites an interesting experience in the book Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust related to the smell and meaning in the room.
Scientists try to measure the extent to which scents affect our perception of a place. As reported by Jstor Daily, the researchers involved several participants to smell and see a scene. Then the participants were asked to write stories in response. As a result, it was much easier for participants to create convincing and detailed scenarios in a warm atmosphere with a pleasant aroma. However, if a warm room is paired with an unpleasant odor, participants create unfavorable details and have trouble remembering details if the scent does not match the view.
In conclusion, when someone is reading a story or is imagining the outline of an episode depicted in the setting of a novel, the smell of the book serves as glue that binds the scene and maintains implicit memory of the details of the incident.
Therefore, many people are fond of reading books and even spending time reading them in the library. Reading in a library is proven to make reading more solemn. The silence that is gained while in the library makes our hearts calm. Moreover, our understanding of the contents of the book we are reading also becomes faster. This because there are not too many significant distractions that can interfere with our concentration. It’s different when we read books at home or in cafes or in other public places which of course too many things can disturb our concentration.
What do you know about Library Science? Not much? That is okay for you. Library Science is not very popular with students. Most students, regardless of their parents’ advice, prefer to choose college majors that have high employment prospects. However, this does not mean that all graduates of the Library Science study program have certainly been doomed. In fact, in the midst of the digital era as it is today, the presence of a librarian is increasingly needed, so that the future prospects that await Library Science graduates are also expanding. How it is so?
In the early days of college, students majoring in Library Science must have faced the same stereotype of their relatives and friends: dull study programs and narrow employment prospects. Clearly, this Library Science study program is not as simple as people think: it just issues graduates of prospective library officers. Today, librarians also have a different mindset. At the beginning of lectures, library science lecturers can instill mindset as a reference library in their students. So, they can tell others that librarians do not just maintain or organize books, but also develop libraries as dynamic centers of knowledge.
The Digital Era
In the midst of the digital era http://18.104.22.168 , librarians are demanded to have effective and accurate information literacy capabilities. This is important to spur a growing research world. As a result, librarians are not only stuck in classifying and organizing books, but they can also provide recommendations. This can only be done if the librarian understands the contents of the book. The techniques of managing a library might just be like that. However, information literacy for this research continues to grow, so it’s very important now.
If students are creative, some of the material learned during college can also be used professionally. The Library Space Design and Planning course, for example. This course teaches students to design a comfortable and functional library interior. Or also knowledge of digitizing the library. Now, these skills are usually used as freelance jobs. They usually offer library development services to schools. Schools need that because the library is an element of school accreditation assessment.
Function of the Library
And again, the notion that the library is merely a place to store and borrow books has become obsolete. With the blossoming of the development of community-based reading parks and libraries, the function of the library has expanded. The library is now a place of discussion, creative work, and a vehicle for collaboration. Therefore, the old prejudice that the librarian’s job prospects are limited seems to be re-considered.
Armed with the science of management and technology learned during the lecture, librarians actually have vast potential. From the observation of the graduates of Library Science, they are not merely pursuing linear professions as librarians or archivists, but also absorbed into the technology industry.
In college, they become acquainted with information technology and then create their own. When they graduated, at least they were used to using technology. The final assignment of some students is also in the form of a retrieval system application, although in a simple and specific form for the community. Each campus that provides Library Science study programs have their own peculiarities.
Ever wondered what does a librarian do? This view makes many people think that the work of librarians is not much different from “caretaker of a library”. In any case, ‘caretaking the library’ does not make a librarian just sits behind a desk all time. They are also maintaining the survival of the library to maintain the satisfaction of the visitors (library visitors) in finding information in the library. Librarians must be partners in a teaching and learning process. Being a partner means having to take an important part in academic or research development activities. Therefore, to become a librarian, academic, professional and certified qualifications are required.
Duties of Librarian
The duties of librarianship revolve around scientific and professional activities, ranging from management, service, and system development. In terms of management, perhaps we can see how the books and reading material in the library are recorded, arranged, classified, and given a number to facilitate service. So, when we look for certain reading material, the librarian can easily and quickly provide. That’s what came to be called technical service.
Furthermore, librarians, as mentioned above, must be able to become partners in academic or research development. The job of librarians is like the Google search engine, but they are able to give the right and proper answer. In librarian terms, the task is referred to as a reference service. The reference service is actually an individual service, a personal service. Just like when a patient comes to the doctor. If visitors come to librarians with the intention of looking for simple information to complex information, even to difficult information.
A librarian must be able to meet their needs of information. Therefore, it is the duty of librarians to study, criticize, and analyze matters relating to libraries and library development. So that the librarians can develop the library and the library can achieve the expected goals. The library aims to provide services to users, increase reading fondness, and broaden their insights and knowledge to educate the nation’s life.
The librarian profession is apparently not an easy profession to carry out. As of 2016, the number of librarians certified by the Librarian Certification Institute in Indonesia is 3,179 people, and is targeted to reach 358,975 in the future. That means, until the end of last year, we only reached 0.8 percent of the target. There is still a long way to go, right?
The current era is an era where the fast will defeat the slow. Back then, you came to the library. Now, the library comes to you. The era of digitalization is a challenge for librarians. The ability to process information technology is one thing that cannot be avoided. The availability of online library services in the form of websites or applications is a trend that is and must develop in the world of librarianship.
The challenge in the digital world is not just a matter of technical service improvement. In the midst of the current rampant hoax, a librarian must be able to provide and disseminate information that is accurate and not misleading. In the midst of hectic cyberspace and information milling everywhere, a librarian is expected to be a consultant in carrying out information literacy. So that visitors can interpret, use, and be empowered with the information they have.
If you are interested to have career path within academic environment, you may consider working as academic librarians, there are certain qualifications to become academic librarian such as first degree in library subject as well as postgraduate diploma or Masters in librarianship. You will find it interesting to become academic librarian, contrary to most people thought. Librarian is not boring job even though it involves cyclical work. There are many things to learn and improve when you become academic librarians since academic is dynamic.
Once you are accepted to work as academic librarian, you will be positioned in higher and further education institution because that is where academic librarians work. You will also have opportunities to work in research institutes which attached to academic institutions. However, it is also important to remember that the arrangement and size of academic institutions vary. However, academic departments are supported by institution’s learning center where it has information http://22.214.171.124/ and computing facilities. Depend on your more specific job title, you will be positioned accordingly. For example, resource ordering specialty is highly possible to be housed a central location.
How about career prospect as academic librarian?
To progress your career as academic librarian, you need to keep updating your skills. It will be also helpful if you can take new tasks or develop more specific roles and knowledge. For your information, competition in this working field is quite challenging. The key to become one step ahead is to be perseverant and dedicated. It is important to experience various works or setting to help you develop. You need to be willing to move to different location if needed because sometime promotions require replacement or change of location.
In order to develop new skills and gain more experience, it is highly recommended to take on special projects. You can also move to another job to earn the same things. Aside from gaining more skills and experience, you will be able to show how initiative you are. This can be a good way to prepare for more senior posts. There is always possibility for you to reach the highest level within your working environment. Another thing to do to build your career prospect is to specialize early on in your career. You can also specialized in particular functions including electronic resource management, It development or become a subject librarian. If you have at least minimum of five years’ experience, you can apply position as senior librarian.
Working as academic librarian is already challenging because there is need to keep developing and progressing. This is also related to how academic changes and develop from time to time following the trend. Besides, there are various issues related to resources and technologies within library and academic institutions. People might think that librarian is boring job. However, it is far from truth. Academic librarians are required to work within group as well as deliver personal initiatives within workspace in academic environment. When you become academic librarian, you work with technologies https://agenpoker899.com/ as well such as storing and accessing database to provide info for students, researcher or lecturing staffs. When you are in senior position, you may have your own management and staff working in different departments within academic library. However, it means your responsibility expands as well.
What kind of challenges faced by academic librarians today?
Since the world keeps moving and changing, there are new challenges emerge include within academic library. Here are challenges faced by most academic librarians within their workspace:
- In this digital age, changes are inevitable. However, the real challenge related to digital changing within academic library is how to communicate those changes. Then, it is also challenging to gain support needed for communications. Remember that within academic environment, there are various stakeholders whose involvement in the process does matter.
- Budget has also become challenging issue for academic librarians. It is challenging to compete for funding as well as grow library’s resources within allocated means. Besides, defending the amount of library’s resources is also not less challenging. These challenges also lead to another challenge which is declining patron’s request for content.
- The research cycle within academic library is also challenging especially because the research trend keeps changing. It is important for academic librarians to provide information and content which is discoverable for users. Thus, it is a challenge for librarians to earn new skill in data management so it will keep up with research trends. Thus, it will be easier for users to find relevant content since information in this era tends to be overload.
- The next challenge faced by academic librarians is the transition from printed to digital-based collection. Librarians are expected to manage as well as participate in the transformation and transition. The transformation is regarding to physical space in the library. Librarians should work harder to make the transformation provide better accommodation and collaboration for various activities.
There are many accesses if you are interested in working in academic environment. Instead of becomes a teacher, you can also work as academic librarian. Different from librarian working in public library, academic librarian will be required to have specific academic subject or to develop specialist knowledge as well as other function such as loans, resource ordering, ICT system, specialist collections, library project, etc. Generally, academic librarian is responsible to manage, organize, as well as evaluate and disseminate information.
They will be required to provide support to members of academy community including students, lecturing staffs, as well as researchers.
Academic librarian has role to facilitate and support learning by teaching information literacy skills to staffs and students in various environment such as classroom, workshop, or virtual learning environment, situs judi poker. However, you need to remember that job titles can be vary such as information adviser, subject librarian, liaison librarian, etc. As an academic librarian, you are responsible to:
- Manage and develop book collections as well as journals both paper and electronics and websites.
- Assist researchers to provide information needed using database, internet, as well as printed resources. You may be required to have conversation and discussion in order to provide more support to the research.
- Coordinate and deliver information as well as digital literacy session to staffs, researchers, and students in various environments needed. You will be involved in classroom teaching or workshops to deliver a presentation.
- Use library and information software to select and acquire catalogue information. Besides, you will also be required to create, update, as well as manage printed and electronic information resources.
- Give specific contribution to academic course development as well as liaise with academic departments.
- Maintain and establish effective working relationships with other staffs as well as students in academic environment. You will be required to manage partnerships with external bodies such as suppliers.
- Manage furniture, building, as well as equipment if needed. You may be required to oversee the building of new or existing libraries.
- Manage enquiries as well as budgets especially those related to allocated subject areas and departments. You will be also required to allocate length of loans.
Typically, academic librarians work from 9am to 5pm in a day. However, you might be expected to do additinal evening or weekend work. About the salary, it depends on various factors such as location, as well as area of library work.
Becoming an academic librarians needs useful. There are different perspectives of being academic librarian. Lots of people view this job as boring. However, there are many advantages of being librarian, especially when you are specialized in academic workspace. The transition from being student to professional librarian can be challenging. To become academic librarian, you will not only need to understand the theory and methodology but also to gain practical skills.
Thus, you can succeed as an academic librarian. The program in most LIS is integrating experiential learning into curriculum. Remember that responsibilities of academic librarians are broader are quite different from public librarian.
Here are main skills you need to succeed as an academic librarian:
- Interpersonal skills- There are variety of abilities in this skill. You need to manage professional relationships with variety of people. Remember that people have different backgrounds, as well as skills and personality. It is important to be able to collaborate with others. You also need to develop a professional identity and resolve conflict within the group.
- Technology – It cannot be denied that technology keeps changing and advancing. There is no reason not to keep up with the changes. Regarding to technology, there are wide varieties of skills you need to acquire such as designing web https://daduonline88.com/, storing and accessing information, computing, etc. If you cannot keep up with the latest technology information and skills, you won’t be able to adapt with your work environment properly. It will not do good to your career development.
- Instruction skills – Academic librarians also need instruction skills since academic is where teaching-learning process is. There are many opportunities to teach when you become academic librarian for example in workshops. Besides, it is unavoidable since workshops are part of practicums and internship. If you are currently pursuing library degree, you must have known that taking instruction methodology courses is a must.
- Adaption skills – Academic environment is constantly shifting. Thus, you need to follow the dynamic and adapt to every changes happen in your work environment if you want to succeed as an academic librarian. However, there are always rooms to acquire new skills to help you develop.
- Other skills – There are other skills needed to succeed as academic librarian such as customer service, ICT skills, research, prioritizing work, logical thinking, appreciation of the pressure and demands within academic work environment, etc. Negotiation skill is also needed and often stated in job posting.
Librarian can work in public library or academic library according to the degree you earned. Lots of people view librarian as boring job. However, it is not a boring as it looks especially for academic librarian. Your job is more than book stamping. Academic librarian has more complex yet wider range of job to do in the workspace.
Of course, most of the responsibilities and duties is cyclical but it doesn’t mean you won’t have any fun from doing it. Lots of librarians think that this job is indeed rewarding and stimulating. Here are reasons why becoming academic librarian is worth it:
- Academic librarian works at the heart of an institution’s research activities. Thus, if you become academic librarian, there are many things you can do. The broader the skills you improve, the more opportunities to do more. You can be involved in academic process such as prepping for teaching materials, curriculum, etc. You can also help research conducted by students. Being academic librarian requires more complex and wider skills because your job is not only sitting on the front desk.
- There is always an opportunity to expand your skills while working as academic library. Remember that academic is dynamic. There is always change which requires you to keep adapting. You can develop useful skills from time to time such as organization, administration, accuracy, information and database management, research, communications technologies, more specialized knowledge, etc. The skills you improved won’t be a waste. It helps to level up your career instead.
- Being academic librarian means you are constantly learning. When you love knowledge, you will be more open to learn new things. In academic library, you will not only learn about theoretical knowledge but also the practical ones. For example, you will learn technical sides such as how to store and access information using technology. You will be able to keep up with the latest information technologies to help your work.
- Academic librarian is more of people-person. Thus, you will interact with people more aside with the books. There are many types of research conducted in which requires your help. Thu, you will develop your customer service skill by helping or assisting the research. You can help collecting necessary information and sources to support the research. Or, you will be required to have a chat with the researchers to discuss about the topic. There is self-satisfaction resulted from helping people that needs your skills and knowledge.